How to shave a few minutes off your mile time
Improving your mile time can be a daunting task. The whole prospect of running a mile and then finding out that you weren’t fast enough can totally shatter your pride. Improving your mile time is tough, but it isn’t impossible. Fortunately for us mortals, it doesn’t take a lot of effort to pick up your pace. Here are a few tips on how to improve your mile time!
- The first thing you should do is improve your running efficiency. Shortening your stride isn’t such a bad idea. When you do this you end up decreasing your foot contact time with the ground. This makes you feel lighter and your running will be a whole lot smoother.
- Increasing your stride rate is also helps. A good runner usually takes about 180 steps per minute. To start hitting 180 strides per minute you would have to consider shortening you stride.
- For a few training sessions, you should focus on speed rather than endurance workouts. A high intensity shuttle run and a cross drill would be perfect to improve your pace.
- Lose weight if needed. Carrying a few extra pounds doesn’t help improve your mile time.
- Don’t bounce when you run. When you do this you waste energy in vertical movement rather than horizontal movement. The less vertical movement you do while running, the more energy you can use to move your body forward.
- It is not advisable to swing your legs while running. Instead, when your foot strikes the ground, pull your heel toward your back by contracting your hamstring. This enables your legs to get in position faster for the next step without any wasting any extra energy.
- Finally always resist the temptation to push off your toes. This may certainly give you the speed but it will drain all your energy.
Apart from these tips having the right running gear is also very important. Getting the right shoe for a runner is very critical. Most runners use now days use track spikes. Track spikes are special shoes made for runners which enable them to grip the track even on the most slippery surfaces. These shoes have spikes which are made of metal that are nailed into the bottom of the shoe. They can be removed and replaced one they are worn out. Track spikes like the Nike Zoom Victory have aluminum needle spikes which provide amazing traction even on the most slippery surfaces. Couple this great shoe along with an Adidas track jacket and you would look like a professional runner.