What’s your home lighting style?
Home lighting isn’t something you shop for every day. However, lighting sets the mood and decorative tone throughout your home much more than other accent pieces. When choosing home lighting for your next renovation or upgrade, you’ll want to choose high-quality fixtures that truly reflect your personal style.
Long gone are the days of the simple brass chandelier – lighting options available today are limitless! When you’re finally ready to replace your old fixtures, each style you view can seem more appealing than the last.
We’ve explained today’s most popular décor motifs to make your selection easier. Wondering which style best defines your home? Try our fun & helpful Style Finder tool!
1. Modern/ Contemporary. Homes and establishments that flaunt a modern design tend to display clean lines and an overall “uncluttered” look. Most modern light fixtures are finished in metallic hues, with simple silhouettes and an overall “form follows function” mentality. While modern chandeliers and other fixtures are often minimalist in appearance, bold designs can also be used as the main focal point of a room.
2. Traditional. Traditionally styled homes tend to showcase a careful attention to detail – everywhere – from the thread count in the drapes to the picture frames on the mantel. The same goes for traditional lighting designs, often modeled after particular time periods. Look for intricate scrollwork, cast detailing, and bronze/black/brass finishes.
3. Transitional. Transitional interior design schemes blend modern and traditional elements for a unique, eclectic look. Transitional style lighting has a nice way of blending with these surroundings, incorporating design elements from different styles. Think a traditional chandelier shape, with modern minimalism and a chrome finish.
4. Opulent. Is your home your personal palace, ornamented in nothing but the best? It calls for a luxurious light fixture! Look for chandeliers, sconces and pendants with exquisite details, incorporating fine materials like crystal or alabaster.
5. Natural. To picture a natural/organic design scheme, think “light & airy” – linen curtains, neutral hues, and soothing scents. Natural style lighting is not hard to come by; in fact, it’s a huge trend in lighting design. Look for fixtures made of fabric, naturally-occurring materials (like mica or shells), or use of earth tones.
6. Mission. Mission décor style is cozy and modern, incorporating clean, angular lines with warm finishes, and often pops of color. Mission style lighting works in a wide range of settings, and never goes out of style.
Ready to update your look with unique home lighting? Head over to LightsOnline.com for thousands of trendy, affordable options!
- Guest Blogger: Christie Nichols (LightsOnline.com)