How to give yourself a salon-style manicure
Visiting a salon to get your nails done is always a treat but it can also be pretty expensive. With the purchase of a few items, you can bring the nail salon to your house, and save money by doing countless manicures at home.
- First, find a flat surface in your home where you’ll be comfortable to do the manicure. Once you find a spot, cover the area with an old magazine or newspapers.
- Then, you’ll want to remove any nail polish from your fingers using nail polish remover. (I always go for the strong stuff – 100% pure acetone – that you can purchase at any beauty store, but if you’re using pure acetone, it’s recommended to only use it on your nails a few times a month.)
- Trim your nails with a nail clipper, making sure not to cut them too short (there should be some white tip still showing).
- File your nails with a nail file to create a nice shape (either square or round). Make sure to file the nail in one direction, instead of filing back and forth, and gently drag the nail file to avoid weakening the nails.
- Use a nail buffer to smooth out any ridges but only run the buffer across the nail a few times to avoid thinning out the nail.
- Now you can soften your hands with gel moisturizing gloves and relax for a few minutes. These moisturizing gloves will make your hands feel like someone gently massaged them will lotion at the salon, and all you have to do is slip them on!
- After your hands are moisturized, take a cuticle pusher to gently push the cuticles back.
- Now it’s time to apply a clear base coat.
- Once that has dried, pick out a nail polish color, like Chanel Le Vernis, and slowly brush the nail color from the top of the nail bed and sweep down. When painting your nails, divide the nail into three sections, sweeping the brush across the middle section first, then both sides. (If any nail polish ends up outside the nail bed, take an old eye shadow brush and dip it in nail polish remover, then gently wipe the excess nail polish away.)
- If the color is dark enough on the first coat, stop there, or apply an additional coat for a richer shade.
- When the final coat has dried, apply a clear finish on top, then place your hands in a UV nail dryer or use a quick dry spray.
Now you’re ready to show off that salon-perfect manicure!