Drinking wine for the holidays
Milk completes coffee like wine completes food! The flavors of wine combined with different kinds of food bring out taste sensations that we didn’t even know were there. Let’s find out what wines you can drink during the upcoming holidays that will go perfect with all different types of food.
Complementary pairing means pairing a delicate dish with delicate wines. You can also go for contrasting flavors which means using a sweet wine to make a salty dish stronger. Some great wines you can use this season are:
- Chianti – Chianti wine goes well with Italian red sauce dishes.
- Cabernet Sauvignon – You can pair it with red meat because of its strong flavor. The protein in meat will lighten the tannins in the wine. You can also pair it with a lighter and fruitier Merlot.
- Chardonnay – It is best paired with chicken to create a complimentary taste. Lighter reds such as Rioja, Barbera, Grenache and Burgundy are also a good choice.
- Sauvignon Blanc – Combine it with green salad. Herby whites like a Pinot Blanc are also a good choice.
- Pinot Grigio – Grilled fish tastes best with this one. You can also use light medium bodied whites like Chablis.
- Zinfandel – You can use Zinfandel, Chianti, or Pinot Blanc for pasta with red sauce. And you can go for Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Viognier or Gavi with a white sauce pasta.
- Champagne – Sauvignon Blanc and Champagne are crisp and acidic wines which go well with steamed shellfish.
The storage of wine is an important aspect to be taken into account for keeping the wine’s taste and flavor as fresh as possible. You can use wine corks for this purpose. A cork wine bottle along with accessories like a wine bottle cage can help you keep your wine tasting the way it was meant to.