Tips for choosing the best car seat
Don’t get confused by different brands. Don’t get carried away by how it looks. Only one thing is of paramount importance when it comes to your precious baby’s car seat. And that is – safety. So take a look at these tips to help you choose the safest car seat for your baby:
1. Look for the best harness. It is generally believed that a 5 point harness is the most effective when it comes to safety. It helps restrain the shoulders, hips and at the crotch area. Wide straps that don’t twist are the best. They’ll be “twist free” so you’ll know you’re picking the right one. Wide straps also cause little or no chaffing of the skin.
2. Once you’ve satisfied yourself on the safety aspect, go for a seat that’s easy and convenient to use. If it’s not easy or simple to use, chances are that it’s not the one for you. It has to be fuss-free when it comes to snaps, clasps and other things. And they have to stay in position with no effort.
3. Don’t worry about how the car seat looks. You can always go in for car seat covers. If it’s a boy, you can go for baby boy carseat covers like the cute Baby Bella Maya covers. They seat covers have prints of planes and bikes on a blue background. They come with brown trim and matching canopy and seat belt pads.
4. Buy a car seat that meets safety and quality standards. The Eddie Bauer XRS 65 car seat is a super comfortable convertible seat that meets safety standards set by the U.S. government, the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) standards. It has a 5-point harness and side impact protection.
5. It’s always safer to go in for a brand new car seat for your baby. Don’t buy a second-hand one as it may have become weak with use. Ensure that the size of the car seat fits into your car comfortably. Choose a car seat keeping in mind your baby’s height, weight and age.