The eco-friendly guide to smooth summer legs
Just because you consider yourself a somewhat high-maintenance girl doesn’t mean you can’t be eco-friendly too. In fact, the most sustainable hair removal methods also leave your skin glowing. Here are six tips for sleek, sustainable legs:
1) Use a razor with a reusable handle. A lot of plastic can be saved by only replacing the blade. Plus, these razors are often better quality and result in smoother shaves than disposable razors. Try Schick Intuition Naturals or Venus Embrace.
2) Use organic bar soap instead of shaving cream or shower gels. Shower gels are more likely to include artificial fragrances and other potentially harmful additives than bar soap. And for most people, simply using soap is just as effective as using a shaving cream or gel. So prevent packaging waste and save money by sticking to just one product instead of purchasing two. Try Leap Organics bar soaps – they are USDA certified organic and come in wonderful scents, including lavender, eucalyptus and lemongrass.
3) Use a blade buddy (razor sharpener) to keep your razor fresh and make your blades last longer. Keep a blade buddy in the shower. Whenever your razor feels dull, instead of throwing it out, swipe it against the blade buddy 15-20 times and it will be almost as good as new! By keeping your razors sharp, you can easily prevent razor burn, nicks and cuts, and save money because you won’t have to purchase new blades nearly as often.
4) Turn off the water while you are shaving. Make sure your legs are completely wet; then turn the showerhead off. This literally saves gallons of water, and it is better for your skin because, ironically, hot water is very dehydrating to your skin.
5) Use an organic moisturizer. As mentioned above, showering can dehydrate your skin, so it is important to moisturize after every shower. The bonus of moisturizing immediately after shaving is that it both prevents razor burn and slows hair regrowth. Choosing an organic product helps minimize your exposure to harmful chemicals like parabens and artificial fragrances. It also helps decrease our dependence on foreign oil because organic moisturizers don’t contain petrochemicals. Try Avalon Organics Lavender Hand & Body Lotion.
6) Prevent razor burn with natural skin-healing agents like witch hazel, aloe, and tea tree oil. If you have super sensitive skin and are prone to razor burn, you might be tempted to purchase a product to be applied after shaving, but many of these products contain potentially hazardous chemicals and don’t really work. Stick to tried and true natural remedies.
And voila! Now you have beach-worthy legs with only a minimal environmental impact!
About the author
Cameron Bruns is the founder of Boston Green Blog and a contributor to Merida Meridian, the premier source for distinctively designed natural rugs with a conscience for sustainability.
If you can’t get enough of organic products, keep an eye out for an organic hairspray to keep your hair routine green.