Moist pumpkin bread recipe
Here is a recipe from Zack in Become’s search engine marketing department, who says: “My friend taught [this pumpkin bread recipe] to me and she got it out of an old cookbook of her mom’s.” This particular mixture of pumpkin, spices and flour results in a moist and flavorful bread that you won’t be able to resist.
Ingredients for pumpkin bread recipe:
- 2/3 cup shortening (vegetable oil)
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (16 ounces) pumpkin
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
- 2/3 cup raisins (optional)
- A couple large mixing bowls, like these melamine mixing bowls
- Two 9 by 5 by 3 inch loaf pans, or three 8.5 by 4.5 by 2.5 inch loaf pans
- Spoon or spatula for mixing
- Optional for grinding spices: A mortar and pestle, or a coffee mill
Notes on spices:
Most ground spices have a shelf life of 2-3 years, but freshly ground spices taste a lot stronger and more complex that older spices that have had time to mellow out and lose fragrance. If using fresh spices, grind as such:
- Cloves: Grind with a mortar and pestle or a coffee mill (be careful with plastic topped coffee grinders, as the cloves may scratch and cloud the plastic)
- Cinnamon: Use a coffee grinder (perfect for larger amounts of cinnamon) or a microplane grater (great for smaller quantities)
Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease two 9 by 5 by 3 inch loaf pans, or three 8.5 by 4.5 by 2.5 inch loaf pans. Lining the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper will make it easier to lift the baked bread out.
In large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
Stir in eggs, pumpkin and water.
Blend in flour, soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves.
Stir in nuts and raisins.
Pour into pans. Bake about 50-55 minutes (70 if with nuts & raisins), or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.