DIY organic laundry detergent for high efficiency washers
When you live in a eco-friendly home you want to do all you can to cut the harsh cleaning chemicals, energy inefficient appliances, and non recyclable materials out of your home because you truly care for the welfare of our planet and because you will passing this Earth down to your children. However, if it’s not enough for you to just recycle, or to just eat organic and local, or just use gentler and more organic cleaning products, then keep reading. I’m going to teach you to make your own organic laundry detergent.
So you already own an Energy Star top rated washing machine, which cuts your water use, saves you on electricity, and probably lowers your water heating bill by about $20 a month. That is a great first step, but if you’re really looking to get the most eco-friendly use out of your GE washers and dryers then follow these incredibly simple recipe for organic laundry detergent.
Organic Laundry Detergent:
You’ll only three ingredients for this organic DIY laundry powder:
- 1 bar Castile soap. Now if you’ve never heard of Castile soap, that’s okay many people haven’t. It’s an organic soap that is made totally out of olive oil, there are other versions of this organic soap that are made with olive oil and other plant based ingredients. I would stick with the pure olive oil for this recipe.
- 1 cup of washing soda or baking soda (either is fine)
- 1 cup of Borax.
- Use a cheese grater to shave one bar of Castile soap into fluffy flakes.
- Next take a whisk and thoroughly mix in 1 cup of washing or baking soda and 1 cup of Borax into your fluffy soap flakes.
- Store your DIY organic laundry powder in an airtight container, like a glass mason jar.
- Add one to two tablespoons of your laundry powder to each load of laundry depending on its size and how dirty the clothes are.
- Turn on your GE Front Load Washer (Energy Star rated, of course), and watch you’re laundry get clean without any harsh chemicals.
If you use DIY organic laundry detergent in your home please tell us how much you love the chemical free clean with comments and pictures below.