Tips for protecting your home from a carbon monoxide leak
Every home is vulnerable to a carbon monoxide leak. If fire is a potential threat to your home then so is this gas. Undetected carbon monoxide gas poison poses a lot of threats and can be fatal. Hence, a carbon monoxide in your home is essential to detect any leaks. It is also important to take note of the specific placement of the detector in order for it to properly work.
First here are some facts that you should know about carbon monoxide gas-
- It is tasteless, odorless, and colorless. So there’s no way that the human eye or senses would be aware of them, unlike fire or smoke that is more apparent and we can both see and smell.
- Carbon monoxide is actually a by-product of combustion. This can come from places like water heaters, dryers, fireplaces, charcoals, barbecues, that are standard home appliances. This gas can even enter your home via doorways and walls.
- It is a fatal gas form for babies, pets, and also adults if it goes undetected.
A lot of people think that this gas can be detected via a smoke alarm but that is not true. These CO detectors are marked as carbon monoxide alarms or detectors. They start to sound the alarm as the gas begins to accumulates, which means you will have a lot of time to escape or get out of the danger zone. Although, some fire alarms are now 2 in 1 with CO detectors, it is important to make sure that it is labeled that way and not just assume.
For instance, kidde carbon monoxide alarms that are low profile powered units with a sealed-in rechargeable battery backup that lasts the 7-year life of the alarm to provide a maintenance free design. It has digital display feature, which allows for easy viewing of carbon monoxide levels from 30-999PPM.
However, you should remember that repairing the source of leaking CO is vital to avoid complete damage. So when you are heading out of the house, do contact emergency and get someone professional to diagnose and eliminate the source of the problem.