Let a shadow box save your “I do” forever
Shadow boxes are one of the best ways to decorate any room in your home by preserving the memories you want to treasure forever. For many couples that forever moment is the day they said “I do” and became partners in this crazy game of life. Your wedding day is one of the most important day’s of your life, and yet its a whirlwind day that feels like its over in an instant. Creating a shadow box with pieces from that day will help you relive your “I do” moment over and over!
Create your Wedding Shadow Box:
Creating a shadow box is actually quite easy, and because you’re making a box about what’s important to you there is no right or wrong way to craft the inside or the outside of your shadow box. Once you choose what’s special enough to be put into your box you only need a few things to preserve it forever: a shadow box frame, paper or fabric to cover the back of the box, and then you simply place your photos and mementos into the box however you think is best.
Some things you might want to include in your “I do” shadow box are:
- The brides bouquet
- Groom’s boutonniere
- Flowers from the center pieces
- A cork from the wine and a cork from your champagne toast
- A wedding program or an invitation
- Your favorite photo from the day
1. Pick out your shadow box frame. You could choose a simple white frame, or have one custom made with the date of your wedding engraved on it. However because this frame will be showcasing all your mementos and treasures from that day, you want to make sure its simple enough to be a great background without getting lost on your wall.
2. Cover the back of your shadow box in a complimentary background paper or fabric. The background of your wedding day shadow box can really be anything that reminds you of that day. If you had a country wedding, you could pick a paper that looks like a classic farm fence, it could be your wedding colors, or your favorite color as a couple, the sky’s the limit here.
3. Choose what specific pieces from your wedding will be going in your wedding shadow box. If you’re going to include flowers or corks from any part of the wedding make sure that you have them professionally dried, because trapping that moisture in the box could ruin everything inside. Begin placing all your mementos into the box and laying out a plan. Take your time as a couple to mix and match what you think looks good where.
4. Using straight pins, double sided tape, and maybe even a hot glue gun attach all your pieces to the inside of your shadow box frame. Make sure to let all your glue dry thoroughly before standing the box upright to test their hold. For a more artistic look with different depths, leave your wedding corks and maybe some flower petals loose.
5. Close the glass of the box, hang it on your wall, and enjoy! Now you have a precious box of mementos that will remind you of the happiest day of your life every time you pass it.
Do you have an “I do” shadow box? Tell us all about it with photos and comments below!